RE: Doh! Surging idle after working near Motronic controller.

try cleaning out your idle valve....it should humm for about 10 sec. when
you turn the ignition on.

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-bmw@domain.elided [mailto:owner-bmw@domain.elided]On Behalf Of Jay
Karolyi
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 12:25 AM
To: bmw-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Doh! Surging idle after working near Motronic controller.

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses regarding convertible top care and leather dye.  I
think I will go with the Leatherique dye for my blue leather.  Anyone have
experience/tips with this product?

I learned an important lesson today...never play around near the Motronic
controller under the dash!!!    I was running a wire under the glove box
near the controller unit for my stereo.  In fact I ran the wire through the
same firewall grommet that the controller wire loom goes through.  I must
have jostled something loose, because now my idle jumps between 500 and 800
RPMs at about 1 second intervals, and at times feels like it wants to
stall.  The engine isn't missing or anything, and the car runs just as
strong as ever.  Does it cold or hot, and sometimes it idles just fine.  If
it's idling fine I can trigger the surging idle by tapping throttle a
little.   If you let it hunt around a bit, it settles into a normal idle
again.

My question is, what could I have jarred loose messing around up near the
controller on an '88 325i Cabriolet?  I did disconnect the battery while
working on the stereo wiring, does that "reset" the controller?  I also was
messing around in the battery area trying to fish the wire
through.  Anything there to check?  To try and fix the problem, I made sure
all the connections under the dash were tight, and I disconnected and
reconnected the controller unit (after disconnecting the battery of
course).  I also disconnected my stereo (including the wire I ran near the
controller wire loom) to see if that was the problem.   No dice.  This car
ran PERFECT before, I'm so mad at myself for messing it up for a stupid
stereo wire.   Doh!!!

Please reply to my email address, the digests aren't making it into my
mailbox for some reason. Any help is VERY much appreciated.

Jay Karolyi
karolyi74@domain.elided
'88 325i Cabriolet, royalblau metallic

- --