Re: [All] Windshield washer nozzle cleaning

It is probably clogged... buy two new nozzles they are about 3 bucks a
piece at the dealer..
replacing is a piece of cake just carefully pop them out from the top... in
some models you may have to twist them first....
really easy... good luck...

Nicolas Roman
Senior Engineering Consultant
North Miami Beach, FL.

                    Peter Rossato
                    <rossato@eart        To:     BMW Digest <bmw-digest@domain.elided>
                    hlink.net>           cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     [All] Windshield washer nozzle cleaning
                    owner-bmw@dig
                    est.net

                    09/25/2001
                    11:30 AM

This is a mundane and generic question but your help is welcome on even
the most trivial of problems.  The windshield wash spray on my coupe is
very weak (only reaches the bottom third of the windshield).   The spray
used to be weak on the driver's side only, but now the passenger side is
also weak.  I believe this is a result of clogging of the nozzles,
though deterioration of the pump could be a possibility.

I tried using a pin to clean out the RH nozzle, but that had no effect.
In the past I've been told to blow out the hose with compressed air.
So I could remove the clamp at the wash tank and spray compressed air
through the hose to the nozzles.  The alternative to access the nozzles
more directly on my E36 involves fairly extensive disassembly of the
hood liner .  Have any of you shady tree types handled this before, if
so how?

Since the RH side spray is now weak as well, I suspect that another
possibility is that the pump output pressure was enough to handle only
the closest nozzle (RH) but that as it weakened further it is now cant
even handle the other one.   The car has 100K miles, so that's a
component that may not owe me much more in the life expectancy
department.  I'm trying on the fly to recall the scant fluid dynamics
knowledge I picked up in college, and I'm not sure the dying pump theory
holds.  I still think it's a clogging issue, but what have others
experienced?

Peter Rossato
'94 325 is "VDERZEN"

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pic06052.gif]

- --