Odometer tampering

I'm helping a friend of mine buy a car (one of my very favorite
things to do - spend other people's money).  He's looking at a
'97 328i with 42,000 miles.  The car appears to be very well
taken care of and in good condition but it's definitely got some
miles on it (paint chips, windshield nicks, carpet and driver's
seat worn.....much more so than I would have expected.  When
comparing it to my '97 328is the differences stand out a little
bit more.  It's like the car has closer to 100,000 miles on it
instead of 42,000 miles.

It was my impression that you couldn't defeat the digital
odometer on these cars but another friend told me that all you
had to do was remove a fuse and the miles didn't register.  Is
that true?  I thought BMW's held that information someplace else
as well as in the odometer display.  I'm trying to find out if my
buddy is getting a deal, or getting screwed with this car.

Thanks in advance -

John Virnig
'97 328is
'96 K1100RS