engine bay and rust

I have used P21 citrus degreaser for engine cleaning, works well, and I do use
a hose at moderate pressure to spray it off, no electrical probs. Obviously
you don't want to blast your fuse box relays etc directly.

I have also used the POR15 on rust, it was the best thing I could find as far
as recommendations. I used it on the 4 jacking points of my car that were
rusted because they had actually been used in the past and the undercoat had
been broked (very common). Last time I looked, which was several months after
application, Only one showed any signs of rust-through. The manuf claims that
if prepped properly, it will absolutely stop rust progress. According to them,
if you can dry the rusted area completely (use a hairdryer) , the POR15 will
seal it so no more moisture or oxygen can penetrate, unlike paints or other
coatings. No more "fuel" and the rust won't spread. I am sure that the one
that is rusting through was still a bit moist when I coated it, I did it on a
damp winter day. They have a website or you can get it from the various BMW
aftermarket catalogs.

Todd Kenyon 88 M5