Door won't open

Hi all.
	I'm new to this list and am posting a questions for my dad, who is having a
bit of trouble with the left rear door on his '93 525 wagon. The door seems
to lock and unlock fine, but he can't get it to open with either the inside
or outside handles.
	I thought maybe there is a child safety latch mechanism that got partially
switched, but I took a look at the opposite door and couldn't see anything.
I'm sure someone has had this happen before. Any tips on how to fix the
problem would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
- -Obie