Quick advice on E30 shifter parts.

I'm trying to remove some of the shift slop from my 86 325es, and I'm
trying to decide between getting a short shift kit or replacing some
of the stock parts.  As such I have two questions.

1.  What are the stock parts that I should replace to get the most
slop out of the system?  How much would all these parts cost?

2.  If I were to get a short-shift kit, what does the list recomend
for e30 cars?

I'm on a bit of a tight schedule as I'll have the tranny out this
week and next, then will be driving on the track on the 21st of this
month.

Thanks all,
Robert Phelan
86 325es