RE: E36 Tune-Up Question!!

Serge Maillet [mailto:serge.maillet@domain.elided] wrote:

> My 1997 BMW 328i now has 70,000 miles on it. I purchased it 2nd
> hand so I don't really know what maintenace has been done it it
> previous to 50,000 miles. I want to do a full preventive
> maintenance thing before the winter, and I need recommendations
> on what I shoud get done for a tune-up.

Serge,
Congratulations on the new car.
Since your '97 car may have been covered by BMW 'free' maintenance for 3
year/36K miles plan, it may be worthwhile to run the VIN by your local
dealers to see if they had services the car and if so what was done and
when.
I guess it would not hurt to perform a complete inspection II one the car
regardless of the dealer query outcome.
Did you buy E36 Bentley manual yet? If not, do so ASAP (www.rb.com).

> Here's what I'm getting done for sure.
>
> - Coolant flush
> - Spark Plugs
> - Trany and Differential Oil Change
> - Air Filter

Yes to all.
Does the car have manual or automatic transmission? If it is the latter,
completely flushing the supposedly "lifetime BMW" slush box fluid is not a
DIY job.

> - Fuel Filter (how many are there)

One, under the driver seat.
Don't forget to order 4 new brake line clamps as the factory ones are
disposable.

> Is there anything else I should get done? Are there any engine
> adjustments?

Nope.

> Maybe PVC valves (if any?) ... I just want to make sure that I
> get everything done. Many thanks in advance!!!

It would not hurt to flush the (likely) original brake fluid as well.
Get the Bentley. It will help with the directions and list all other
Inspection II items that I may have missed.

good luck,
alex f