E36 Plastic Water Pumps

I just had my '94 E36 water pump replaced.  I think I have been lucky as I
replaced it at 97K miles without incident.  The tech said that the plastic
part had separated some, but not to the point of self-destructing.  I got the
idea that the plastic part separates and eventually hits something immovable,
thus destructing (the engine block perhaps).  Not sure though, I'm
extrapolating from what he told me.

On the same trip I asked them (Sandia BMW of Albuquerque) to check my rear
shock mounts, which Global Imports of Atlanta told me needed to be replaced
before I moved out here because of a crack in one of them.  The techs out
here said there was nothing wrong with them.  It confirms my suspicions that
Global Imports is either crooked or inept after putting up with their garbage
for years.  Just a word of warning for Atlanta folks.

Dave