Re: Prep for driver's school

My perspective:

ANYTHING you can do to cool brakes and engine will be best benefit.

Brake Fluids: Use MOTUL600 (at M/C shops), ATE superblue, AP 600, or some other
high duty fluid.

Brake Pads: Get some Pagid Oranges ASAP and break them in properly
      3 moderate slows from 120-80 followed by 3 hard stops 120-0
            Allow colling time in between sessions - enough to gently
            accelerate back to speed and drive auto slowly after last one

Brake Venting: Remove backing plates and direct air to brakes anyway possible

Radiator: Add Water Wetter to your antifreeze mixture

Tyres: NO new tyres.  Deflate fully and fill with Nitrogen the night before.
Have race quality guage with you at all times!

Friction Circle: Work on your friction circle driving to fully understand the
vehicle dynamics of your auto.  I recommend going to an empty mall lot at
night.  Inform Security of what you will be doing and have a person to act as
look out.  They generally will accomodate you once they see that you are
responsible.  Work on getting either end of the auto out and holding it or
bringing it back in at will.

Arrive at the track early.  Bring a chair, plenty of drinks - water, Gatorade,
&c - Beer is for after!  Maybe a few energy bars.  Bring a couple towels to dry
yourself off and a change of clothes for afterwards.  In between sessions open
your bonnet to let the engine cool.

That's about it save for trouble, which I hope you don't experience.

Remember:  On opening laps, allow time for the tyres to take a set @ 1 lap
before pushing it.  Further, be wary of last session of day.  I, for one don't
participate.  Many drivers are mentally exhausted, tyres are worn, and drivers
are trying to set their fast times for the day.  I have more autos totaled in
the last sessions than all other sessions combined.

Regards,

Dan Law
404.927.3622