Re: Civility on the list

Kent writes:

>Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 20:05:41 -0400
>From: Kent Williams <kwms@domain.elided>
>Subject: Civility on the list

<snip>

>I've also learned that the dealer keeps a lot more stuff in stock than I
>would have suspected (a lock cylinder rebuild kit, for example).

<snip>

The dealers have an automated inventory management system that orders
certain parts for stock if they're requested frequently, or if larger
quantities are ordered.  For example, the third brake light on my E34 525iT
had seven burned out bulbs (out of twenty four), and the dealer didn't stock
them.  I ordered ten bulbs (three spares).  When I took out the third brake
light and disassembled it to replace the bulbs (which are soldered in), I
found that several other bulbs stopped working, or worked intermittently, so
I ended up using my three spares and still had a few bulbs not operating.

I went back to the dealer to order more bulbs.  Because I had ordered ten
bulbs, the parts inventory system considered the quantity large enough to
begin stocking the item (the trigger was five on this item), and ordered an
additional five bulbs to keep in stock!  This dealer will now have the item
stocked in the future.

I imagine that the system will also remove items from the stocking list if
they haven't sold for a long time...

- -rb