E46 Fit and Finish

I am currently leasing a 2000 328Ci and am trying to
get out of the lease because the car seems so poorly
constructed.  Some of the problems have been:  a sunroof
shade that broke out of its mounts, passenger side interior
trim covering the door weatherstrip fell off, same problem
now on driver's side door, passenger door weatherstrip
has now been cut because of poor door fitment.

What have your experiences been in regards to quality
of construction on E46 models?  I was getting ready to
purchase an M-3, but if there are a lot of annoying little
problems with all E46s, I don't want one.

For information, I have owned nothing but BMWs since
1972.  All were great cars until this one.  Mechanically
this seems fine, but structurally it reminds me of a friend's
Ford Tempo.

Thanks for any input,
Bob