Re: idle problem/timing belt

On 27 Jul 2001, at 1:02, bmw-digest wrote:

> Subject: Idle problem with 85 528e
>
> Hi all,
>  I am having a problem with the idle on my 85 528e auto. The problem
> used to only happen every once in a while, now it happens much more
> and seems to be once it gets hot. The idle will fluctuate between 700
> and 1500 rpm on a "heartbeat" type rhythm. Any suggestions? The Hayes
> manual say's timing belt!

I recently had similar symptoms with my '85 528e manual.  A quick
look under the hood showed that the corrugated rubber hose in the air-
intake path had a number of cracks showing.  With only a little shame
I cleaned off the hose and applied a little duct tape and the idle
smoothed out nicely.

Re replacing the timing belt:  A must-do every 60,000 miles, rough
idle or not.

Larry Swain
'85 528e 215K mi