RE: idle problem/timing belt

Spray carb cleaner on your intake boot and all vacuum hoses to help diagnose
a vacuum leak.  When you spray it on a crack, the engine speed will pick up
noticeably.

Re the timing belt, mine was at 80k when I got my car in March.  I replaced
it the first weekend we had it, along with the water pump, just to be safe.
The old belt was pretty badly cracked when I took it off, and I (or the PO)
got very lucky.  Most people I've talked to will say 60k is too long; you
shouldn't let it go over 50k between changes.  Cheap insurance, IMO,
considering the fact that you might as well write off a 528e if you stuff
the valves.  Nice cars (the nicest I've ever owned), but not worth a lot of
money.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco