Great dealer experience w/95 740i - very surprised!

I went to the BMW dealer in Rockville, Md. (VOB) recently to get a key
replaced (my BMW non-dealer repair place couldn't initialize the key and
told me to go to VOB), and was shocked by the great service I received and
the extra attention I was given.  For instance, the "Silver Team" service
guy repaired my rear brake light twice in the course of a week with a free
bulb put in by himself, not the service techs.  They never did this at my
BMW repair shop....certainly not for free, and not in 3 minutes after I
drove in.  They also gave me a price for an oil change of $41, $8 less than
my BMW repair shop (non dealer).  The guy at VOB even said they lose money
on the oil change!  I guess I've alway boycotted the dealer as I perceived
they would be more expensive and I'd feel like a number, but honestly, I had
friendlier more attentive service (from this dealer that supposedly had a
bad rep for service), had lots of cool cars to look at, new and old while I
was waiting for my car, and I got in and out a bit quicker than at the
"small" but great BMW repair shop I usually go to.  Having a 95 740i which
is way out of warranty, I  never considered using the large BMW dealerships
for anything other than recall notices and wheels, but now I'm not sure.
Anyone else out there getting great dealer service and not going back to
your smaller local BMW repair place?  I had to admit, that parts counter had
alot of cool stuff to buy!  Having only gone to the small place for the past
few years of ownership, I felt like a kid in a candy store.
95 740i b  $200 lighter, but new BMW key in hand
95 540i     hers
88 911      my inner child's