<E36> A little confused about my new wheels/tires

Hey everyone,

I just picked up some 17x8" BMW E46 Style 44 wheels with Michelin Pilot XGT
H4 tires for my E36 and a few things are puzzling me:

1)  According to BMW Canada, the correct offset for my car is 41mm, using a
17x7.5" wheel.  Now my 2000 E46
wheels are 17x8 inch with a 47mm offset. Is my offset "off" by 6mm or .25"
or is it close to being correct since its
1/2" wider? (or is the offset even more off; I have no clue)

2)  I opted for 17" rather than 18" since I was told my ride would "ruined"
with 18" 235/35x18.  Thing is, it now rides
smoother with the 17's than with the stock "bottle cap" 15's!  (Michelin
MXV4 205/60x15)

To clarify:

Old: BMW 15x7 Stock rims w/Mich MXV4 205/60x15 Tread wear 340  (almost down
to the wear bars)

New: BMW 2000 E46 Sport Package 17x8 rims w/Mich Pilot XGT H4 Tread wear 400
(hockey pucks? :)

Now I'm not looking for a harsh ride, but come on, I somehow expected a
RADICAL ride difference in ride!  I know this is difficult to believe, but
the car feels VERY SIMILAR IF NOT MORE PLUSH with the new combo.  Damn,
perhaps I should have gone with 18's, better tires, or both, I'm not sure.

3)  How long does it take for the tire mold release compound to wear off?
I've only put about 60KM on them so far...

In summary:

The bottom line is if they handle better than the old ones, and I don't have
to give up ANY ride compliance, hey, I guess I get to have AND eat my cake.
And they look great!  I was out in a friend's GrandAM with 225/50/16(?) with
Toyo Proxes All Season, and this thing was borderline harsh.  Is the BMW
suspension just that much better it'll handle 17's with low profile rubber
and still offer a much better ride?

back to me and tell me what you think of them.

P.S.  Not fishing for more responses, but I was very thankful for the number
of helpful individuals who came to the rescue with my check engine light
problem.

Thanks everyone,

Greg
Red '96 328i, ASC+T, roof, leather, 5spd, no sport package, no H/K, new 17"
BMW wheels

End of bmw-digest V9 #1867