What should I purchase

Looking to replace my '87 535iS with a newer 3 or 5 series.  I'd like to
keep the purchase price below $20k.  What model and year should I consider.
I like the looks of the 328iS' and 528's.  I've enjoyed the sportiness of my
535iS, want to keep the power under my right foot and get good fuel mileage,
say 22+ MPG (preferably using regular or middle grade gasoline).  Let me
know what car I should look for.  Yes, the '87 535iS is for sale (148K
California miles - $4,900).

CLFR@domain.elided