RE: What should I purchase

French, Cary (CLFR) [mailto:CLFR@domain.elided] wrote:

> Looking to replace my '87 535iS with a newer 3 or 5 series.
> I'd like to keep the purchase price below $20k.  What model
> and year should I consider. I like the looks of the 328iS'
> and 528's. I've enjoyed the sportiness of my 535iS, want to
> keep the power under my right foot and get good fuel mileage,
> say 22+ MPG (preferably using regular or middle grade gasoline).

Gary,
IMHO the early ('96-'97) 328s will fit your bill.
Amazingly, E36 has about the same interior/exterior dimensions as E28 cars.
If you have frequent full size rear seat passengers you may find rear
legroom in E36 cars to be barely acceptable (hello E34). Otherwise it's a
great car with either manual or automatic transmission. My wife gets above
25mph in her slush box '98 328i around town.
E34s are certainly bigger, but you would have to tip-toe around the nikasil
block SNAFU to find a 530/540 V8 with a replaced M60 block. Pre-'96 2.5
liter M50/M50TU engines are borderline in 3-series and arguably too sluggish
in 5-series.

> Let me know what car I should look for.

There is only one way to find out for sure what car will make you happier:
go out and test drive all conceivable alternatives and pick the one that you
like most.

alex f