18" M Rims on a 1995 540i

Folks,

Need to get some feedback from fellow digesters!

I am considering the purchase of the 18 " "M Parallel Spoke" rims for my
five, has anyone  had experience in attempting to place these rims  or
others onto this vehicle??

BMW have advised that they will not fit however I understand that they can
be machined to fit!  Is this a good thing to do or not?

Seen a few old fives with them on - don't want to be too hasty without a
better understanding in the areas of safety etc............