Re: Looking for a very clean E36 M3 where to look???

My 2 cents.

E36 M3's are everywhere.  You'll find them on dealer lots, private hands,
curbsiders, everywhere.

Being a miser, here's what I would do - find one at a non-BMW dealer or in
private hands.  I say non-BMW because the BMW dealers want at least 10%
premium for their so-called "Certified Series" used cars.  Since an E36 M3
is going to be maximum 6 years old, a good pre-purchase inspection is all
you need.  Screw the "Certified Series".  I have seen very good M3s at
excellent prices at a local Ford dealer and at a small specialty car dealer.
Beware the typical "Joe's Used Car" lots.  Make sure the dealer is
reputable.

For private cars, you are in luck because most M3s are owned by enthusiasts.
That means they are well maintained.  Watch out for cars that have seen a
lot of track time.  Look for an unmodified M3 owned by an older man or
woman.  My theory is that you can tell a lot about a car by looking at the
owner.  If it's a kid, you can bet the car has seen some abuse.  I know, I
was a kid once.

A great place to look is with the local BMW club.

I don't know much about prices in the US since I am in Canada but be careful
about bargains.  Always factor any needed service or replacement parts into
your price.  Especially tires.

Make sure you've got all the service records and absolutely no accidents or
body/paint work.

My final piece of advice - BE PATIENT.  Even if you think you've found the
bargain of the century, conduct your due diligence and take the risk of
losing the car as opposed to buying a lemon.  Believe me, another bargain of
the century will come along.

Good luck.  I envy you.  The e36 M3 is one of the most balanced, easy to
drive performance cars I have ever driven.  I currently own a Porsche 911
and I honestly believe the M3 is a nicer drive.

Henry