Re: "In need of E36 EVO euro m3 engine!!!"(response)

 <<In need of E36 EVO euro m3 engine!!!
 where can i get one and how much would it run me??
 would i need to change the tranny and rearend on my 98 323is???
 would it be possible for such a transplant??
 thanks dudes..  >>

Make sure you use an absolutely reliable source with people that can speak
highly of the whole process that the importer uses.

Andy Kritikos in Illinois imports these and would be excellent.  There is a
place in England, FAB BMW (advertises in BMW Car, the British Roundel).
Jason Cross there sent my engine to me in a very complete package.  His
breaker yard did about 21 Evo 3.2 last year alone.

You need a harness, a cluster, the EWS unit, the ECU controller, a key that
matches the above.  There are ways to solve the EWS problems, but I won't
discuss them on the board.  Jason sent everything you could possibly need to
solve it in a number of ways.

Jason sent a VERY complete package.  Engine, 6 speed, Drive shaft, Header,
cats, muffler, radiator, accessories, steering column with antenna, entire
car's harness, EWS modules, cluster, FM transmitter for EWS, For a very
reasonable amount, I got the entire brake system (pump, booster, master
cylinder, calipers, rotors, entire suspension, rear diff and carrier)

I did the transplant myself, and converting from RHD to LHD provided some
challenges.  The advantage of a British motor package is that the cluster is
correct for our country already.

There are many places that require care, the heater valves will need to be
moved, you need to mount the reservoir for the radiator, RHD to LHD involves
some different pipes and certainly a bit of effort with the harness.  I had a
bit of a struggle as I had a LTW, not a regular E36, but having the entire
harness from the donor car gave me the multiple plugs and wires I needed to
complete the job nicely.  Don't even try this without a Bentley E36 manual
and a BMW euro parts CD rom to look up things you need.

In answer to your question, expect to spend at least 11 to 12 K for the
engine and trans with all the stuff to go with it.  You can use your 5 speed.
 M3's sometimes had a different input flange to the rear diff than other E36.
 Lots of variablility on this.  You most certainly have a 4 bolt drive shaft,
if you use the longer 6 speed, you will have to get an M3 6 bolt style input
flange for your diff, or buy a M3 diff.

The project is not for the feint of heart.

Alex Lipowich
Euro M3 LTW, CR #8 BM