<E36> Need help with stereo upgrade recommendation

I've got the stock BMW stereo which I've added the changer to, but I'd like
to do more, and have a budget of about $1000 to work with.

Here's what I'd like to achieve:

1)  INCREASE BASS LEVEL

I don't want to win any sound-offs, and don't want any boom. Just the nice
tight bass a good 6x9 or 8" driver would offer

2)  INCREASE OUTPUT POWER (HOW MUCH, I DON'T KNOW)

I don't want a loud system, but find mine distorts when turned up enough to
overcome road noise with the roof open on the highway.
How much power would that take?  I really have no idea.  I forget what the
stock amp is rated for, and the FAQ won't load right now.

Here's what I've got in my used parts bin:

- -a Kenwood 100W per channel amp with crossover
- -4 Kenwood 1" dome tweeters
- -4 Kenwood 5.25" Midbass drivers (maybe good for front kick panels)
- -a Blaupunkt 4x30W amp

One idea I've got is to install the Kenwood's in the front, a set of JL
Audio stealthboxes in the back, driven off the Kenwood amp.

What would you do?

Thanks!

Greg Stapells