<E36> Check Engine Light the bane of my existence

Hi everyone,

I bought my 96 328i off Town and Country BMW in Dec '98.  The dealer has
maintained the car for my ownership so far, doing
Inspections I and II etc. but so far, has been unable to solve a pesky check
engine light.

Here's what trips the light:

a) Constant speeds at a fairly high RPM, say 5000. (drawing out 4th a little
too long (30 sec) before grabbing 5th - that engine does sound sweet!)

or

b) Hard on-ramp acceleration, 80KPH approaching redline in second gear

Here's what happens:

The light will go on, the car will run like its on three cylinders.  I pull
over, shut the
ignition off, turn it back on, the light goes off, the car runs fine.

Here's what the dealer has done to try and solve the problem:

1)  Checked gas cap, oil cap, all caps(!)

2)  Replaced all O2 sensors

3)  Replaced my Catalytic converter

It's really an annoying problem because it occurs whenever I'm trying to
have a little fun, and sure puts a damper on things!

Any ideas folks?

Thanks,

Greg Stapells
Red '96 328i, ASC+T, roof, leather, 5spd, no sport package, no H/K