E-30 Erratic Idle

More problems with my 1985 325e.  I was having trouble with the engine
dying when I pushed in the clutch at a stop light or sign.  I guessed
that it was the idle control valve and took it out and cleaned it.  It
was pretty gunked up.  I used fuel intake spray cleaner and kept
spraying it until the fluid came out clean.  That fixed my idle, or at
least the problem I was trying to fix.  Now, with the AC on, the idle is
rock solid at about 850-900 RPM.

The new problem is when I turn the AC off, now the idle drifts up to
about 1100-1200, hangs there a few seconds, suddenly drops to 850-900,
then drifts up again.  It may have been doing this before, I don't
know.  Again, the idle is the best its been in years with the AC on, but
unstable with the AC off.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Al Waschka