E-30 AC Recirculate Doors

Lately my AC hasn't seemed to be cooling as well.  I recently noticed
that the sound of my AC didn't change when I pressed the recirculate
button.  I pulled the radio and could see the motor moving the linkage
into the evaporator housing.  I took the car to my AC guy who pulled the
evaporator (I think) and looked up in the housing.  He says the linkage
has broken off the doors.

My question is....is there anything I can do other than replacing the
entire housing?  I have plans to replace my dashboard, so while I have
the dash out, can I pop the top on the housing, or cut some holes, or
??? and reconnect the linkage in any way?

Anybody ever done a repair on this?

Thanks,

Al Waschka