BMW Windshield Installation Views

Recently Ron (see July 1 Digest) posted some great information on BMW (with
logo) vs. OEM windshields (e.g., SEKURIT, SICURSIV, SIGLA, SPLINTEX, etc.),
stating that there is no difference between the glass on each, but the logo
version takes longer to order.

Yes, Ron is correct; my BMW windshield took about a week to get to the shop.

And, another replier said that a professionally installed windshield needs
to be clamped in place for six or eight hours.

I took my M3 in this morning for the replacement (a shop that does the
local BMW dealer's replacement) and this is what he claimed:

1.  The OEM and aftermarket windshields are identical.

2.  However, the moldings are not.  The BMW moldings are of better quality
than aftermarket.  (And, guess what?  Because I didn't specifiy BMW
moldings, they would have used aftermarket quality except for the fact that
afternmarkets are not yet in production.  I lucked out here.)

3.  The clamping time depends on how quickly the adhesives (I think he said
resins) set; this shop requires about three hours.  The real issue is
safety and liablity; if the windshield has not had sufficient time to dry,
an accident setting off the airbags would pop out the window (they are
supposed to first glance off the window before protecting the passenger)
and not provide adequate protection.

At least this is what I was told.

Jim