steering box tightening

Thank y'all for all of the responses to my question about loose steering
a while back.  All of the info was so helpful.  I tried the easiest stuff
first, like checking to see if the tie rods were loose, and seeing that
the big nut on the steering column was tight.  They all were good.  So I
decided to try my luck at the steering box.  I found all of the extenders
I could, hooked them together, and loosened the bolt that holds the
screw.  It was really loose, like the screw had almost no friction on it
for about 1/2 a turn.  So I turned it a quarter at first, then tightened
everything back up, and took it for a drive.  No difference.  Another
1/4.  Big Difference, but it was still a little loose.  I haven't
tightened it anymore, thanks to all you guys that said be careful about
the binding.  I never heard anyone say you could keep tightening more
than a half a turn, so what i'm wondering is if I can tighten it anymore
than I already have.  The screw gets really tight after that frictionless
part.  Also, what does it sound like when the steering binds, and if it
does, does that mean I have instantly ruined the steering box?  I like
the chenge i've already gotten, and want MORE! Thanks Again, Kevin '86
735i