Race Spec Roll Bars in Street Cars with Convertible Tops

In the last few years of reading the various on-line digests to which I
belong, the roll bar in street car question often arises.  I have shared
some of my photos and experience with the MG Digest.  But, it is time to
share with the rest.

If you go to my website http://ecosys.homestead.com/EcoSysHome.html and then
go to the MGB Page, you will see photos & information on the roll bar system
in my MGB.  This car, as many know, is my year-round daily driver and
occasional vintage racer.  The roll bar has passed tech for SVRA, HSR &
VSCCA.

For those of you not familiar with the various top frames on MGB's, the one
on my B is what is known as a "Stow-away" frame.  It is a folding two piece
unit that fits into sockets at the door jambs.  The three fingers of the top
join in the center of the car via male & female ends on the bars.  These
tops were the standard top on MGB's from 1962 to 1968.  The fold-away tops
that were optional during that time, & standard in later years would not
allow a roll bar as high as mine.  However, some experimentation with wire
shapes in each of your cars will let you find the maximum height that you
can use.  Then either buy a ready-made bar or have one custom fabricated to
fit.  The later is not cheap.  The basic hoop & rear brace system in my car
cost $700.  Is that too high?  Answer this question - What's your life
worth?  My answer is obvious.

My strong belief in roll bars goes back to one Friday night years ago when
my family & I were heading to Vermont for a weekend of skiing.  On a back
road near the NY-VT border we came upon an MGB that had flipped.  The driver
was pinned in a car that was upside down.  We carefully rolled it onto its
side & administered first aid to the unconscious driver.  We left when the
ambulance arrived.  I don't know if the driver survived, or survived
paralyzed.  Since then I have always urged friends with open cars to install
roll bars.  I had a bolt-in one for my last MGB, the 1980.  And, shortly
after buying my current one, a 1966, had the system shown installed.

The old MG saying is: "Safety Fast."  Roll bars fit that saying very well.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB
'73 BMW 3.0CS - For Sale
'61 Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce