Whining? noise e30 and approx cost

1990 325is:
Sometimes there is a whine in all gears at different speeds from what
seems to be the rear of the car.  It's my first manual car so maybe it's
the way I'm driving because it will go away when I speed up/slow
down/shift up.
Is it a concern or do I need more experience driving the car?

The 86's u-joint is going in the axel (Park to Drive Klink). I don't have
the patience, all the tools, or a lift to make the job easier. I've
decided to throw money at the problem. If anyone has done this about how
much $$ am I going to throw?

Thanks in advance everyone,
Adam
90 325is