mysterious electric sun-roof

My '89 325i has a strange intermittent fault... here's what (sometimes)
happens:

1) Ignition ON. If I press the button to open the sun-roof sometimes
nothing happens. The roof just won't open. There's is no sound of the
mechanism/motor running or anything. Other times the roof will open ok.

2) If I then open the drivers-side door while still holding the roof
button (ignition ON or OFF) [ stationary of course :-) ], the roof
*will* open - always.

3) At the times when the roof won't open as 1), it is nearly always (say
80% of the time) when I have just started driving. Usually, the
non-opening problem will go away a few minutes into the journey the
thing works fine again!

The car has had this problem for years and I'm used to it - but just
thought it'd be nice to try and fix it.

TIA

- -John