RE: Service Indicator Lights

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, at 11:20:33, Michael Drew wrote:

>I've heard there are batteries in the VDO which can be replaced. Is this
>right, and does anyone know a good place to purchase these?

Instructions for replacing the batteries are at
http://www.unofficialbmw.com//repair_faqs/sil.html#bat .

Ni-cad batteries with the proper solder tabs are available from
http://www.batterystore.com/ . Ask for Varta P/N 55110201059 or equivalent.
Cost with shipping was about $10, as I recall.
Be sure to charge the batteries before you install them. The changing
circuit on the SI board will not bring them up from zero volts.

Peake Research sells a replacement battery kit, part number SIBN,  for
$24.95. Includes instructions.  http://www.peakeresearch.com/siboard.shtml

Programa sells rebuilt service indicator circuit boards with lithium-ion
batteries. See http://www.programainc.com/bmw_b.pdf

Bob Kegel
'70 2002
'85 635 CSi