Re: E28 M5 not running smooth

John,

   Here's what you need to do:  Swap me that old, tired, poor, offered only
in black (a color even Madonna has recently shunned), E28 for my cute,
nimble, "collectible" Henna Red E30 M3.  Oh, but replace that nasty 02 sensor
first  ;)

Failing that, I'd check the Bentley Manual, fuel filter, cold start infector,
transfer (in-tank) pump, fuel pump & main relays, as well as the fuel
pressure regulator. After that, there is a long list - but I'm sure you'll
get it from these folks.  They know their "stuff."

Hope this helps, rather than sets you out on a wild Goose Chase,

RobW