Re: E28 M5 not running smooth

John,

In a message dated 6/25/01 11:26:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Help me troubleshoot this one:  My 88 E28 M5 is, for lack of better terms
 "popping", "sputtering" mostly when downshifting.  I can smell gas when I
 first start the engine and a bit of smoke appears too (not oil burning).
One
 person offered that I change the plugs and wires and another says that I
have
 an imbalance in the air/fuel mixture.  Please help me out.  I am
mechanically
 challenged, but will attempt the fix myself >>

You aren't gonna want to hear this, but my best advice to you is to get the
car to a qualified BMW mechanic (that knows the S38 engine) FAST!!!!  Does
not sound good to me...get it diagnosed before the fix costs more than the
car is worth. Trust me on this!

Good luck,

John Weese
BMW CCA #76646