E23 steering

Kevin,
The steering box on all BMWs that come with a box instead of a rack are
adjustable for wear.  Depending on how comfortable you are with yourself, you
can do this in not much time.  The only problem is related to overtightening
the adjustment mechanism, in which case you end up with needing a new box in
short order.

I'll try to dig out some of the digest tidbits we've had on this matter in
the past.  I've never done it but basically you locate a large nut on the
underside of the steering box.  The nut also holds a slotted bolt.  You undo
the nut a bit and tighten the bolt a bit, then tighten the nut and check for
play.  As I said, the key is in not getting it too tight.

Regards,
Gary Krumian