E23 steering

I have a 1986 735i and the steering has progressively developed more play
in it.  Its really annoying, and I was wondering if there was anything I
could check at home.  The steering fluid level is ok, and I guess its
about time to change it, but that doesnt seem like it would be the
problem.  Is there anything on the the steering box that could use
tightening up?  I can wiggle the wheel about 1/2 an inch either way from
dead center, and not have it have any affect on the direction of the
tires.  It just doesn't feel like my old bimmer anymore.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin