Re: E36 Auto Tranny failure at 56K miles -- Any thoughts?

"Blok, Alexander M (MED)" wrote:

> My immediate thought is:
>
> 1) You are getting a free tranny
> 2) You like to shift

> PUT IN A GEARBOX!

Well, I am getting a free tranny, but I've been without the car for two
weeks now, which kinda sucks, so I wanted some input on how to prolong
the life of the new trans. -- apparently nobody on the list has this
information. Oh well.

As for liking to shift, I do when I'm on curvy backroads and such, but
sitting in 10mph stop and go traffic at rush hour, it's no fun, hence
the choice of a Steptronic. I know this is something of a religious
thing with people, but personally, I like the auto at least 90% of the
time, which means I would dislike a manual at least 90% of the time.

All I really want to know is, does dropping the auto from sports mode
into "D" while driving shorten the life of the tranny???? Anyone???

- --shawn

- --

s h a w n   m o y e r
shawn@domain.elided