e34 - clutch f/Denso AC compressor wanted/needed

Hi all,

I'm hoping there is a (cheapish) solution for this one before I melt in
the New Jersey humidity. I also hope I'm not revisiting a subject I may
have missed in the huge volume of digests I still haven't caught up on.

We've got a '92 525ia on which we had the AC system converted over to
R134a by the local well-regarded AC shop (following Brett Anderson's most
excellent advice.) The AC once again worked fine , though the compressor
remained a bit noisy. About 3 weeks later the bearing on the Denso
compressor clutch siezed and now we are back to having no AC.

I unbolted and pulled the front part of the clutch and am able to turn
the compressor shaft itself, so I'm thinking the compressor itself is OK.
The obvious thing is to replace just the clutch, but I've found BMW
doesn't want e34 owners to replace just the clutch. They would rather
sell us the entire compressor instead for a lot of money, and of course
then the system will have to be recharged once again.

So, with all that, here's the question, can I get just the clutch, or
will I be forced to buy an entire compressor/clutch assembly? I've done a
bit of searching, and got as far as Denso's rep who deals with BMW and
noone has yet revealed a way for a retail customer to buy a clutch (only.)

I've looked about for alternate sources of compressor/clutch and have
found the BMW part for much less than BMW wants, but I've also come upon
an outfit in Texas that sells a compatible compressor with a larger and
stronger clutch, allegedly eliminating future similar failures. Anyone
have any thoughts on that route?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Kraeuter (trying to keep cool)
CCA99826
92 525ia - daily (sauna-like) transport . . . did I mention the lovely
black paint?
76 2002 - the garage queen
85 Golf - 808K miles - with the original engine

End of bmw-digest V9 #1829