RE: Viscous Fan diagnosis?

A friend and former '88 528e owner replaced his with a thin electric fan
mounted on the radiator, operated by a thermoswitch.  As an extra benefit,
he picked up about 1 mpg or so because it was only operating when it was
necessary.  I don't know how to properly test your fan, but if you feel like
spending the money (I think his ran about US$90 or so), you might replace it
in this way.  I'm kind of waiting for mine to go so I have an excuse to do
this.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco