Re: <E30, E21> Info needed on wheels for sale

Tom Lesko <tmlesko@domain.elided>

>I have a beautiful set of MSW basketweave wheels that I acquired in a
>garage deal. They are near new, having had tires mounted then dismounted
>and have lived in a dry garage for several years. They are 4 stud X 100
>mm, 14" x 6" MSW #1932-B with a label for 3 series, but not the specific
>type. They may be for 320 series early cars, not sure. ANy one know the
>wheel offset for the early 3 series cars?
>Thanks.
>Tom Lesko

 The factory 14x6 E30 Bottlecap wheels have a 35mm offset,  and i
think the E21 320i wheels have much less than that.   Is the offset
shown anywhere on the wheel (stamped, embossed, or on a sticker)?

 A quick way to tell would be to measure the actual backspace - if they're
for an E30 the backspace will be between 4¾" and 5".   I had a set of
14x6 MSW mesh wheels which were listed for use on 75-92 FWD VW
and 84-93 BMW E30.  They had a 33mm offset with a little over 4¾"
of actual backspace and fit both cars perfectly.

 If your MSWs have less than 4½" of backspace then they're not really
suitable for an E30 and are probably intended for the E21 cars.

Randy
89 325is
85 Golf GTi

End of bmw-digest V9 #1828