e28 - rear-end shake/vibration & spark plug gap ques.

Just wanted to find out if someone had any ideas/information on e28 rear-end
vibration problems. The car is a '88 535i - rear differential bushing and
rear sub-frame bushing have been replaced. The drive-shaft main support
bearing has been replaced too. Everything seems fine, but on acceleration
rear-end vibrates - on hard accelerations this vibration increases. Any
ideas?
Also, the Bentley manual and other sources say to gap the plugs at .028..
recently I had installed plugs and the gap was .020 I believe.. car ran very
strong, but was missing quite a bit when running the engine at a steady RPM
- - gap is now at .028 as required.. car is running smooth now, but power did
drop off somewhat compared to previously with the smaller gap on the plugs -
plugs are Bosch platinums.
How does plug gap affect performance? Closer gap means stronger spark and
thus better combustion? (and with the maybe too small a gap means misfire?)

Thanks!