RE: [E36M3] rear tire wear

Kevin M. Gregg [mailto:kevingregg@domain.elided] wrote:

> I've owned a 100% stock 97 M3 coupe for about 7 weeks now.
> This is my first BMW.  The car has about 34200 miles on it.
> The second set of rear tires (245/40/17 Bridgestone Potenza
> RE 730s on the factory wheels) are almost worn out. (I haven't
> measured how many 32nds of tread are left but there aren't
> many!)  The previous owner put these tires on the car in
> October 2000 when it had 23,300 miles on it.  The fronts have
> very little wear. The rear tires are wearing evenly across the
> face of the tire (no excessive wear on inner or outer edge).

Kevin,
First comment: since your '96+ M3 comes with different wheels (7.5x17 front/
8.5x17 rear) you are unable to rotate the tires. If your budget can handle
buying another pair of 8.5x17 wheels you will significantly prolong your
tire life by rotating them front/back.

> The tires are not over/under inflated. I don't drive the car
> hard... no smoky burnouts and not too many jackrabbit starts.
> The car is my daily driver... maybe 35 miles/day roundtrip
> highway commute to work.  No road racing.  No autocross.  No
> drag racing.

FWIW, I have about 10K miles on my 235/40-17 RE730s. Those 10K miles include
two driving schools and four autoXs. They are less than 1/2 worn.
I would humbly suggest that your PO was wringing every last ounce of fun out
of than his M3 before selling it. It appears he was not much of an autoXs or
track driver since the front tires are relatively intact. Heavy rear only
tire is a dead give away of straight line burn outs. How is your clutch
holding up? ;-)

> I understand that the RE 730 tires are a soft compound and have
> great grip (which I enjoy a lot). But....they wear out too quickly
> for my tastes.

In all honesty RE730s are not exactly dry grip monsters, though they are
fantastic in the rain and are relatively long lasting (like Kevin will
believe the last part ;). Not to mention that they are relatively cheap
(which is why I'm wearing them for this autoX season). If you want to
experience some really good dry grip on steet tires, take a closer look at
S02/02 PP's (or BFG KDs). OTOH, their prices and wear rates will break your
heart ;-)

> What is it about the M3 that causes the rear tires to wear so quickly?

Heavy right foot ;-)
Particularly pertaining to rear tire wear.

alex f