(E30) Help with smoking wiper motor

The windshield wipers on my son's '86 325es (221k miles) decided to quit the
other day.  I thought for sure it was the relay (in the fuse box), so I
bought one today...guess what?  It ain't the relay, nor the fuse....but the
wiper motor is "smoking" and it smells like burnt plastic!

The plastic cover on the motor is actually melting.......how can this be if
the fuse is ok and the relay appears to be working (can hear a click...click
when operating the stalk on the steering column)?

Anyone have this happen?  Last year we replaced the aluminum arm in the
cowling..what a pain of a job that was!!!! ...well, here we go again <g>.

My biggest concern is that he needs to be able to drive the car to work, and
I want to make sure there isn't any possibility of an electrical fire, etc.

Any ideas/help much appreciated.

John Weese
Landisville, PA
BMW CCA #76646