RE: E30 eta - oil leak

Tony Canike [mailto:canike@domain.elided] wrote:

> It's a 87 325 (eta) with 210K miles on it.   I've already
> fixed leaks at the valve cover and the oil pressure sensor,
> but there is a persistent leak from the front of the engine
> up high somewhere. Last time I did the timing belt I noticed
> a slight oil/dirt deposit on the block around the belt, but
> it was a Sunday and it's my only car so I just replaced the
> belt and got it back on the road.
>
> My first suspicion is the camshaft seal. I have no experience
> replacing seals - any pointers?  What parts should I buy
> before tearing things apart

Tony,
I think you've identified the usual suspect.
I remember Steve D saying that camshaft seal start leaking around 150K
miles. Yours would be overdue by now.
Give Steve a call www.ultimategarage.com and he will send you $10? new seal.

The old one may be a little stubborn coming you as it's got baked in place
over the last 14 years, but the new one should go it fairly easily.

I think that's it,
alex f