Re: Doing the right thing / What should I ask

Well, keeping your SO/fiance/spouse in a safe car is part of the
deal.  Good job - hopefully all will be grateful taaht you did the right thing.

After one very expensive R12 re-fulls ($200 ) I had my 87 325 switched to
R134a when I eventually had the leaking evaporator replaced.    The net
upgrade cost was almost $0, if you figure in the cost savings of refilling
with R134a after the job was complete.

Of course, the next year the condenser went, and then I was solidly in the
black with the R134a conversion costs.   Note I didn't have evap or cond
oversized for the conversion, just hat the fittings, oil,  exp valve, and
freon changed.   System works almost as good, but not quite, as R12.   But
it works much better fixed then it did broken, and the system was always a
little undersized in my car anyway, IMHO.

If you have a problematic A/C system that is being diagnosed for
hard-to-find leaks, go for the conversion.   If you think the system might
become a refill-and-find-next-leak-again exercise, go for the
conversion.  You will save on the freon in the end.

Tony.

.