[E36] Noisy engine when I release accelerator

Something that's been bothering me since I bought the car in 98 (a 94
325i).  When I release the accelerator to shift or to coast, I hear a
metallic noise, like a metal box of marbles.  When I am coasting, I can
hear it until I push in the clutch.  When I am shifting, I hear it as I
let off the gas pedal to shift, and it goes away once I'm back on the
accelerator.  I've heard that this may be due to the VANOS system.  Like
I've mentioned, I've noticed this since I bought the car.  It hasn't
really changed character in the last 3 years so it may be harmless, but
it is very annoying.

Thanks,
Jason