"sucking" cats

If your engine is sucking stuff out of the cat, then you have a much
large issue than efficiency, or power. You should be shopping for a new
engine because yours is running backwards.
Nothing in the exhaust will ever be sucked anywhere, let alone upstream
to the engine. It would go out the tailpipe, away from the engine.

<snip>
 --------------------Snip
> Any loose particles from the catalytic converter will be blown through
the
> muffler and eventually out of the exhaust pipe.
>--------------------------Snip

>From experience with the Taurus SHO and failed cats I can tell you it
is very
possible for the engine to suck up parts of the cat when you are driving
manual.  I have seen not only sensors fail but ENTIRE engines fail due
to bad
cats.  I don't know if BMW has something to keep this from happening but
I bet
not.  Just my two cents.
</snip>
- --