Oil in the throttle body?

Hi All,
I've got a little problem on my '87 E30/325iC.

About a month ago it started to run rough. I noticed that the hose
leading into the valve cover had cracked and was leaking, so I replaced
it.

A couple weeks later, it started to run rough again. This weekend, as
part of troubleshooting the problem, I pulled the K&N intake off the car,
and noticed small _pools_ of oil that had accumulated in the rubber boot
leading into the throttle body. Not just streaks - we're talking wet oil.

I wasn't worried about oil leaks because I haven't had to add any for
months, but this time I also noticed some accumulated oil at the rear of
the engine, seen only from the rear (top down view, and the front of the
engine is still dry and clean). I steam clean the engine bay somewhat
regularly, so this accumulation is probably not more than 2-3 months old.

Can anyone give an opinion as to the likely cause of the problem, and the
best place to start tracking it down?

Thanks,

Drew Mouton
(About to sell my '92 325iC, so I'd like to have the '87 happy...)