Leaky final drive - E36 325

Hi

The final drive/differential on my 94 E36 325 coupe is leaking oil.  I had a
look under the car and there doesnt seem to be a great amount coming out,
but it is noticeable, i.e. a circle of about 4 inches in diameter when I
stop (after the component is hot) and oil splodges covering the back of the
bumper/fender and boot/trunk door/lid.

I changed the oil here about a month ago, and I was thinking it was the
drain plug that was leaking (I checked this, but it is tight), but although
this is covered in oil, it looks like it is coming from further forward,
like from the cover gasket (the cover which has the fill and drain plugs on
it - the bolts for this are not loose).  That the weather has been in the
80s for the past few days, being noticably hotter than before (not that this
would have an effect on the temperature of this lump of metal), it occured
to me that the hoter oil might find it's way out of the gasket if the
sealing was marginal.

If it is not from the drain or fill plug, and not the gasket (it hasnt been
tampered with), could it be coming from a breather if it was overfilled
slightly (there is the possibility that it was overfilled, since I used
ramps to try and get the car level on the driveway, which is on a hill).

My next step, when I get time, is to check the level, but any thoughts would
be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick Pashley
94 325 coupe (with oily rear)