RE: Leaky final drive - E36 325

Nick Pashley [mailto:NickPashley@domain.elided] wrote:

> The final drive/differential on my 94 E36 325 coupe is leaking
> oil.  [...] If it is not from the drain or fill plug, and not
> the gasket (it hasnt been tampered with), could it be coming
> from a breather if it was overfilled slightly

Yes!
Check if there are any oily deposits on top of the diff cover. If there are,
the only way diff fluid could have gotten there is by being expelled through
the overfill valve on top of the diff.

> (there is the possibility that it was overfilled, since I used
> ramps to try and get the car level on the driveway, which is
> on a hill).

Nick,
With the car perfectly level, open the fill plug and see if any oil comes
out.
This is an inconclusive test as any excess oil may have already been
expelled. If you stop dripping the diff fluid after checking the level you
know you had overfilled the diff.

alex f