Re: Code Setting

On 8 May 2001, at 23:31, Ron Buchalski wrote:

> Larry,
>
> If you're pressing five digits, but the radio beeps and still
> displays 'CODE', you're entering the wrong code.  If the radio beeps
> before you've entered five digits, then you've pressed one (or more)
> buttons multiple times. <SNIP>

Ron:

Thanks.  What you say makes sense.

I have changed batteries a number of times in the 16 years I've owned
the car, and always gotten the radio back the first time I input the
code.

The code that works is on a really old phone list I keep in the
kitchen -- same number I've been using successfully for all this time.

But this time, I approach the car, start up, turn on the radio, see
"code" displayed, press the buttons carefully with the code, and get a
beep.

I have read the manual since I first tried this.  The procedure you
outline is the one in the manual, including the warning about three
bad codes in a row.

IF freezing the radio, without power, resets the code to "factory
default" (and I share your skepticism), then that is what happened as
this radio was in my car in the detached, unheated garage, during the
coldest part of the winter, and the battery had failed -- it had a
defective cell, so there was likely no voltage at all applied to the
radio in that cold.

So, if the radio activation code is in fact the "default" code, what
is the default code?  That is what I would need to restart the thing.

Thanks again.

I'll be in touch, somehow, with the factory, or BMW, or whoever, as
soon as I can take the time to get into it.

I'll let you know if I ever get the little bugger running again.

Larry Swain