Re: Code Setting

Larry,

If you're pressing five digits, but the radio beeps and still displays
'CODE', you're entering the wrong code.  If the radio beeps before you've
entered five digits, then you've pressed one (or more) buttons multiple
times.

If you enter the wrong code three times, the radio will lock you out, and
will need to remain on for about an hour before you can enter the code
again.  Or, you can disconnect the power (or pull the fuse), re-connect the
power (or re-insert the fuse), and try again without waiting an hour.

You don't need to wait an hour before you can enter the code; you don't need
to take the radio out of the car and put it in the freezer, and you don't
open the radio chassis and spray it with freezer aerosol... <geesh>

You need to get the correct code.

- -rb

>Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 11:23:19 -0400
>From: lswain@domain.elided
>Subject: Code setting for radio
>
>Just replaced the dead battery in my '85 528e, and -- even though
>I've done this successfully a number of times before -- I cannot get
>the radio to accept the code and come to life.
>
>Tapping in the 5-digit security code only elicits a peep and the
>continued display of the word "code".
>
>Anyone got any ideas?
>
>TYIA
>
>Larry Swain
>'85 528e  213k  original clutch

Incredible solutions included (names removed to protect identities):